I’ve learned throughout this process of clearing my skin that it’s never just about one thing. Like only taking supplements would be enough. Well, it could be. But for me and my body, it’s not. It has to be a holistic approach.
We’ve looked at diet and food supplements – all internal fixes to help improve acne (see Part 1 and Part 2). Finally, what rounded out my journey to clear skin is the external aspect of this condition – the first and obvious layer we try to address – OUR SKIN.
What goes on underneath all the products we use?
So here’s the thing – we use products to try to clear our skin. But sometimes, chemicals used in these products are actually HORMONE DISRUPTORS. These are toxic, harmful, skin-irritating ingredients that are absorbed by your skin, into your system and causes imbalances in your hormones. These products that promise to rid you of acne may actually be aggravating your already inflamed skin.
So what products should you use?
I want to say none. Go commando – CAVEMAN METHOD. Use only water. Don’t apply anything on your skin – no cleanser, no toner, no moisturizer, no sunscreen, and not even makeup. Let your skin breathe for a change. The idea is, eliminating these products will allow your skin to regain it’s own healing and regenerative properties.
If only I were that brave too.
So at the very least, avoid products that contain these toxic ingredients.
- Synthetic colors
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- Propylene glycol
- Sunscreen chemicals
If you’re anything like me, just avoid any ingredients that you can’t pronounce. Always read the ingredients label. Even products that pose as “Organic” or “Natural” may still contain these ingredients (I was surprised that a certain organic/natural “Z” gugo shampoo contained SLES). Another guiding principle is, if you can’t eat it, would you put it on your skin?
Here’s what my skin care beauty regimen looks like these days:
- Spray kombucha on face (one part kombucha, one part filtered water). Leave for few minutes then wash with water. OR. Apply raw honey. Leave for few minutes then wash with water.
- Apply apple cider vinegar toner (one part ACV, three parts filtered water)
- Apply Be Organic Emu Skin Perfecting Cream
- If I’m going out, I apply on ONO Sun Blocker 30.
- If I used makeup, I first take it off with wet wipes. Wash face with soap. Currently, I use MKay Organics Clear Off Yellow Soap. OR. Once a week, I use Human Nature Detoxifying Mask Scrub.
- If I didn’t use makeup, I just use my kombucha spray then wash with water.
- Apply same toner and cream.
- Apply Katialis spot treatment on “live” acne and blemishes.
And that’s it! Less is more.
It’s been a real roller coaster ride waiting for my skin to clear up. But by addressing my body’s needs inside and out, I know we’re getting there.
Thank you for following my skin journey! Let me know if yours is anything like mine. Here’s to wishing you a happy, clear skin!